Types of compressors
Here are the five types of compressors is most commonly used for mechanical cooling. They received their names from the actions of their mechanical parts:
- Piston compressor has the piston travels back and forth in the cylinder.
- Rotary compressor-center rotor, which rotates inside the cylinder.
- Scroll compressor has two spiral-shaped parts. One remains fixed while the other orbits (without spinning) against him.
- Screw compressor has two screw (screw-shaped) rotors, one male and the other female. They cling to each other as they, in turn, as the bolt turns into a threaded hole.
- Centrifugal compressor has a high speed impeller with many blades, which rotates in a special niche.
As shown here, the type of compressor used depends on the size of product (in tons) and applications. At the lower end of the tonnage of the scale is the compressor.
It is most often used in appliances, such as refrigerators, freezers, water coolers, but it is also used for residential air conditioning and heat pump products up to 5 tons.
Spiral compressors from 5 to 10 tons, the range is increasing in popularity for cooling, and for large residential and light commercial Central systems.
Three types of piston compressors are shown: Weld-sealed reciprocating compressors are the most popular style used below 10 tonnes, although they are becoming increasingly popular from 10 to 20 tons, because of cost. They also compete with rotary compressors for residential air conditioning and heat pumps products below 5 tons of cooling capacity.
Good semi-hermetic reciprocating compressors keep the lion's share of the commercial air conditioning and heat pumps on the market more than 10 tons. They, however, faces increasing competition from a sealed welded reciprocating and scroll compressors.
Open reciprocating compressors offer maximum endurance and working capacity from approximately 5 to 150 tons in the compressor. They are used primarily on the operation of the refrigeration and industrial and large commercial air conditioning and heat pumps.
Similarly, screw compressors compete with open reciprocating compressors in large commercial and industrial market, but also to offer a wider range of capacities from 20 to 750 tons per compressor.
Centrifugal design used on the largest systems. They appear on the vast majority of systems using compressors more than 150 tons of capacity. Usually, the maximum capacity of each compressor is about 10,000 tons, but custom-built blocks exceed 20 000 tons. Open reciprocating and screw designs, they are suitable for cooling, industrial, and commercial-use air conditioning or heat pump...